When deciding which of Washington, D.C.'s neighborhoods to devote a day to, you won't want to overlook Penn Quarter & Chinatown. (Although, we recommend extending your trip and exploring them all.)
Satisfy Your Appetite for Hip Restaurants and Culture
The bustling zone is filled to the brim with global cuisine, unique shops and bars pouring wine, craft beer or artful cocktails. Not to mention, there's a myriad of activities waiting on every architecturally stunning street. Clockwise, it's bordered by the Friendship Archway, National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial, Newseum and Ford's Theatre.
Grab your itinerary and a pen, then read on for our suggestions, which are sure to spice up your time in Penn Quarter & Chinatown.
Soak up some fresh air as you enjoy a French Riviera-inspired brunch on Fig & Olive’s terrace. Then, marvel at your artful surroundings while indulging in contemporary Peruvian cuisine at China Chilcano. Or try the prime steak at District ChopHouse (which also has an in-house brewery). Finally, when late-night cravings hit, Clyde’s satisfies with classic American fare, such as juicy burgers and jumbo lump crab cakes.
- China Chilcano 418 7th St. NW, 202.783.0941
- Clyde’s 707 7th St. NW, 202.349.3700
- District ChopHouse 509 7th St. NW, 202.347.3434
- Fig & Olive 934 Palmer Alley NW, 202.559.5004
Peruse women’s upscale apparel and accessories, plus stationery and gifts at Upstairs at 7th. After, stop by Teaism, a tea shop teeming with tisanes, greens, oolongs and more. Don't forget to deck out the hand holding the cup—visit Mia Gemma, a jewelry store selling beautiful baubles from engagement rings to earrings.
- Mia Gemma 933 F St. NW, 202.393.4367
- Teaism 400 8th St. NW, 202.638.6010
- Upstairs on 7th 1299 Pennsylvania Ave. NW (enter at 12th & E), 301.351.8308
Swirl, sniff and sip a glass of wine while nibbling on locally sourced snacks at Free State. Sip on a flight of wine at Flight Wine Bar, which carries more than 640 wines. Or, make a reservation at trendy Barmini, where expert mixologists pour top-shelf cocktails and present them in stunning fashion.
- Barmini 501 9th St. NW, 202.393.4451
- Flight Wine Bar 777 6th St. NW, 202.864.6445
- Free State 501B G St. NW, 202.601.7216
Challenge your competitive companions to a game of shuffleboard, darts or Skee-Ball at Rocket Bar. Bring your history-buff buddies to Ford's Theatre to see a show or take a tour of the site where President Abraham Lincoln was assassinated. Top off your trip by taking your fun-loving friend group to Escape the Room, where sleuths follow clues to beat the clock and flee a locked room.
- Escape the Room DC 409 7th St. NW, 202.888.0802
- Ford’s Theatre 511 10th St. NW, 202.347.4833
- Rocket Bar 714 7th St. NW, 202.628.7665