The place to be for the weeklong celebrations honoring the men and women who serve in the armed forces is the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum at Pier 86. Events on the pier are free; events inside the museum are included with museum admission.
Read on for a day-by-day list of highlights. For a full schedule and updates (all events are subject to change), visit www.intrepidmuseum.org.
• Wednesday, May 22, 8-9:30 am: To kick off Fleet Week, Naval and Coast Guard ships sail up the Hudson River into New York City, progressing past the museum’s Pier 86 before docking at points around the city.
• Thursday, May 23, 10 am-3 pm: U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Lawrence Lawson and a U.S. Naval Academy Yard Patrol squadron, docked at Pier 86, are open for public tours. The Lawrence Lawson is open to the public every day during Fleet Week, thru May 27: check the website for hours, which vary.
• Friday, May 24, 7 pm: Free screening of “Top Gun” on the Intrepid’s flight deck. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. Guests can bring their own picnics, although food and nonalcoholic drinks are available for purchase on the Intrepid.
• Saturday, May 25, 10 am-6 pm: Displays and hands-on activities from the U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Air Force, American Red Cross, Guide Dog Foundation, America’s Vet Dogs and Veterans K-9 Corps, American Legion, Intrepid former crew members and educators, and antique military vehicles from the Military Transport Association. Visitors can help build a Lego Saturn V rocket with the team from Legoland.
• Sunday, May 26, 10 am-6 pm: Same displays and activities as May 25. At 11:30 am: “Poof! Life in Vacuum” demonstrates what would happen to the human body if it were to be exposed to the elements in outer space without a space suit. At 1:45 pm: “Blast Off! Launching the Space Shuttles” discusses the science and engineering behind launching a space shuttle. At 2:15pm: Museum educators explore the science behind aviation in a demonstration about how things fly, “Airheads: How Do Things Fly?”
• Monday, May 27, Memorial Day, 11 am: The annual commemoration ceremony aboard the Intrepid includes the unfurling of a 100-foot American flag, the playing of Taps, a ceremonial wreath laying and a flyover by Navy jets. This event is free and open to the public.
Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, Pier 86, W. 46th St. & 12th Ave.