If you want to get an authentic taste of the culture found in New York City, take a visit to the East Village. This neighborhood on the East Side has always been a place for artists and creators to come together and make something beautiful. Several types of art have called it home over the years, from punk rock music to Off-Broadway theaters. Whether you want something upscale or a little more down-to-earth, you’re sure to find it in the East Village.
The East Village will give you plenty of options when it comes to food. Each restaurant is more unique than the next, and you’ll never step into the same place twice. While you’ll find the typical Italian and American restaurants along its streets, they each offer something different that you won’t find anywhere else in the city. Have some tapas with your pasta at Jose Luis, get a taste of the tropics at Pineapple Club or snack on some chicken at Bobwhite Counter.
- Jose Luis, 186 Avenue B, 646.707.0746
- The Pineapple Club, 509 E. Sixth St., 212.697.8600
- Bobwhite Counter, 94 Avenue C, 212.228.2972
The East Village is bursting with life in every corner. Artists can be found sharing their latest masterpiece with everyone who walks by on its streets. You can also enjoy the natural beauty of the neighborhood and explore some of its history as well. There are places for you to take an afternoon walk, dance to some great music or learn what the city was like over a century ago.
- Museum of the American Gangster, 78 St. Mark’s Pl., 212.288.5736
- Tompkins Square Park, E. 10th St., 212.639.9675
- Webster Hall, 125 E. 11th St., 323.513.6222
You’ll always find a bar in the East Village that will make you feel right at home. They create a classy yet welcoming atmosphere, so you’re sure to have a relaxing afternoon with a drink in hand. They always have something going on as well, so you can be treated to live music or the latest soccer match while sipping one of their specialty drinks. A stop into an East Village bar is the perfect way to finish out your day in this neighborhood.
- The Wayland, 700 E. Ninth St., 212.777.7022
- 11th Street Bar, 510 E. 11th St., 212.982.3929
- Death and Co., 433 E. Sixth St., 212.388.0882
The East Village is all about the latest trends, and they’ll make sure you’re keeping up with them too. Their stores sell some of the most popular goods on the market right now, and they’ll let you know what’s hot and what’s not. However, they’re not afraid to celebrate old trends as well, as you’ll find plenty of thrift shops and vintage goods waiting for you on each block.
- East Village Vintage Collective, 545 E. 12th St., 646.476.8036
- Duo NYC, 324 E. Ninth St., 212.777.7044
- Book Club, 197 E. Third St., 646.678.4160